Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ai2020
Returning Member

Question about filling refinance questions with 2 1098 forms

I purchased my primary (and only) residence in 2018 with lender A for 700K mortgage with no points. In Feb 2020 I refinanced this with lender B for principal ~680K and also paid some points for that refi loan. In 2021, I have refinanced again and moved to lender C. For 2020 - I have one 1098 from Lender A and one from Lender B

Per discussions in this forum since the loan amount is under 750K, I am filling out the 2 1098s (one from each lender) separately.

For Lender A, I have indicated

Was this loan paid off or refinanced with a different lender in 2020? 
Yes
Question1:   What should I answer to these questions for Lender A - "Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced?"

For Lender B, I have indicated that we did pay points that were only reported in Closing Disclosure. 
Question 2: For Lender B, What should I say to "Was this loan paid off or refinanced with a different lender in 2020?"

Question 3: For Lender B, What should I select to the following set of questions?
Is this loan a home equity line of credit or a loan you've ever refinanced?
A. We need to know a little about about the history of this loan to see how much interest you can deduct this year. Learn more
Yes, this is a loan I've refinanced or a home equity line of credit (HELOC).
No, this is the original loan I used to buy or build my home.

B. Great. So which type of loan is it?
A mortgage loan that I've refinanced
A home equity line of credit (HELOC)

C. Have you ever pulled cash out from this loan when refinancing it? Learn more
Yes
No

After filling all the 2 1098s,  I am getting a new screen for additional review for each Lender A and Lender B.
Question 4 : for Lender A  - What should I say for the following since the loan was paid off with this lender and moved to a new lender B through refi? Is the final principal balance what Lender B paid to Lender A in Feb 2020? Is the date of final payment what i paid or when the Lender B paid off Lender A?
A. Enter your loan balance as of January 1, 2021, or the final principal balance if you paid off this loan in 2020.

B. Enter the date you made your final payment, or leave blank if you haven’t paid off your loan.

Question5 : For Lender B, what should the date of final payment be. This loan was not paid off as of 12/31/20 but has since been closed in Feb 2021 when i refinanced with lender C.
A. Enter your loan balance as of January 1, 2021, or the final principal balance if you paid off this loan in 2020.
-> I've indicated the year end principal balance shown in 1098

B. Enter the date you made your final payment, or leave blank if you haven’t paid off your loan.
What should I say here?

Question 6: Lastly I am not seeing my points used in re-fi getting split over 30 years. i am seeing over 50% of it marked deductible in 2020? How do I fix that

Question 7: I am also not seeing the interest paid over the 2 loans to the same primary residence not being included included in the total deduction.. rather a significantly lower amount? Am I running into the same issue being discussed here - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/refinanced-mortgage-1098-messing...

Thank you for your help.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies